Monday 25 May 2009

Precious time

We're 6 weeks in and so much has happened in that short space of time.

Jeevan has had a baby...and I'm the proud mother of a bouncing baby laptop! It's exciting! I have a PC at home but it's over 3 years old now, which is positively geriatric in computer terms. The laptop's very pretty and girly - from the metallic rose finish to the Swarovski crystals on the lid. I don't go in for bling that much but the laptop itself has a great spec, so why not?

Jess and I had our review the other week which went really well. I've been pleased with the work I've done so far, but I'm aware there's always room for improvement.

One of the things we talked about was that a week seemed such a short time between sessions. My self-employed fiance often says that he didn't know how he found the time to do half the things he does now when he worked full-time. And it's true! Days just disappear under last night's washing up or visits to help parents understand Twitter. And then there's all these thoughts about the things you're letting slip, like the gym or date nights.

I know I've got to be more disciplined about my work and setting fixed times in the week to do it. Thinking it and doing it, though - there's the challenge!

Take today for example: a day I'd thoroughly intended would be productive on the writing front. I had a moderate lie-in (10.30am). C and I drink coffee and promise ourselves 'just one more game' on Big Brain Academy on the Wii. Of course, 90 minutes later and we're still trying to turn silver medals to gold. I had resolved to go for a run. C and I get dressed and walk briskly to the park. After a couple of laps of jogging, we take a detour to PC World to look at laptops. C hits upon a plan where I can get the laptop I tried buying last Friday, but couldn't as the store didn't accept credit cards. After brunch, ablutions and some banking transfers, we head off to the store - a 45 minute bus ride - to pick up the laptop. Ten minutes later, with laptop in hand, we head home on another bus. At this point, it's 5pm and I could see my intentions of getting work done at all today just ebbing away. I couldn't just turn the new laptop on and get on with it. Oh no. There were all sorts of updates and installations and countless reboots before it was anywhere near ready to go. Three and a half hours are spent doing diagnostics and ordering curry. Then it's time for Ashes to Ashes, nine o'clock, BBC1. It's the penultimate one - exciting stuff. Get back to the laptop and the internet is infuriatingly slow. It's only when I move into the bedroom and nearer the router that it all starts to work as a new laptop should.

I know 10.45pm isn't the best time to start work, and I don't intend to carry on for much longer as I need my beauty sleep. However, if I'm going to take my writing seriously then I need to make time for it and not be distracted by other things...like life!

No comments:

Post a Comment