Wednesday 27 May 2009

To be or not to be ... self-employed?

I feel as though I'm working full-time at the moment. If I haven't got stuff to do for Poached, then I'm collating information for a music archive website, or I'm preparing items to include in a radio show. Things are getting busy.

Yesterday was the first day I got to spend some quality time with my laptop, the tool that's going to help make my working life easier. I got a flavour of what my day would be like if I was a professional writer and I really enjoyed it!

Working from home seems to give me so much freedom. Yes, I've got to be disciplined in terms of the time I devote to other things during a working day and be careful not to get distracted. But I sat on the sofa surrounded by my work and I was happy.

I really enjoyed the session we had with Saba last week when we talked about feature writing. If I'm honest, I was as interested in finding out about how she finds being self-employed as I was about how to go about researching and structuring a feature.

What worries me is how I can make a steady living out of writing. I know cash flow won't be consistent. I have rent and bills to pay, and if I come off benefits, suddenly there's no safety net.
I'm quite adamant that I'm not going back to doing admin again. It was only ever meant to be a stepping stone into doing something more with my creative skills. I'm due to have a meeting with Reed in Partnership to have a chat about my options. I have lots of thoughts going round my head. Should I work part-time and get a guaranteed income? If so, should I do work that will give me more writing experience, or perhaps build on the voluntary experience I have through hospital radio?

What to do?!


No comments:

Post a Comment